Saturday, September 22, 2012

Keeping Track of Time

"So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom." 
~Psalm 90:12

I read somewhere that we only have approximately 935 Saturdays with our children from the time they come home from the hospital to when they head off to college. That might sound like a lot, but even if your child is only 2 years old, over 100 Saturdays are already gone leaving you with only 831 left to giggle over bowls of cereal, play tag in the yard, or snuggle on the couch watching a fun movie. 

Having that number in mind does nothing less than motivate me to spend every one of those Saturdays (and Tuesdays, Thursdays, and everyday!) fully investing myself into the lives of my sweet kids. It may seem silly or monotonous to keep track of how much time we have, but that is exactly the kind of mind-set that God wants us to have.

However, there are days when I am definitely guilty of doing the exact opposite! I tell myself, "I'm too busy for that," or "I can do it later," and on the excuses go. The fact that the author of Psalm 90 asks God to "teach" us  this practice proves that it does not come naturally. I think this is especially true for those of us who are young. The less time we have spent on this earth, the more we see ourselves as immortal, having all the time in the world. This perspective can lead to laziness, apathy, and recklessness. 

God has something better for us. He wants us to learn how to "number our days," remembering that our life on earth is short. We only have so many days to live, and once one of those days is over...POOF!... it's gone for good. Numbering our days will help us gain a "heart of wisdom." We will use our time more wisely, making every moment count. The more we keep track of time, the more earnest we will be in sharing the Gospel, teaching, and loving on our kids.

Let's make every last Saturday count with God's strength and for His glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment