Friday, May 10, 2013

The Moms of a Mom, part 2


"Her children rise up and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
'Many women have done excellently,
but you surpass them all.'"
~Proverbs 31:28-29


Today, I would like to honor the mom who has known be from the beginning: my "Mommy Dearest," Mary Palma. Most life skills that I possess have been handed down by my mother - playing the piano, how to teach someone to play the piano, the ability to ensure that a mischievous baby will stay in their jammies, and much to Mom's patience, the definition of a preposition ("Becky, Becky. Over, under, around, and through!"). 

There is no one like my mom. I could go on forever about all the funny things she does, sings, or says. (In fact, she even has a friend who is documenting all her hilarious sayings!) I could spend paragraphs writing about all the care that she has lavished on me, my siblings, and now my husband and children. I could tell countless stories of all the fun we had growing up and how we have never, ever doubted her love for us. Hopefully someday I can tell you more about those things.

The picture of my mom that I have most firmly printed in my mind is that of her kneeling next to her bed in prayer. From the time that I was a very little girl, I can remember walking past her room and finding her on her knees. Every morning. Without fail. I have never met anyone who is as fervent in prayer as my mother. 

What does she pray about? Well, if you have ever had a conversation with Mom that has lasted longer than 3 minutes, it is probably safe to assume that she is praying for you every day. It never ceases to amaze me when I hear her tell yet another person that she is praying for them. She loves to go before the throne of God and give requests on behalf of others. And when Mary Palma prays, mountains move! I firmly believe that babies have been born, lives have been spared, and people have come to know Christ through the faithful supplications of my mom. This spiritual discipline stems from her unwavering faith in God and His desire for her to "taste and see that [He] is good."

Thank you, Mom, for your godly example in my life. I love you so much!



1 comment: